About Athletic Therapy
Certified athletic therapists at the University of Calgary Sport Medicine Centre provide injury assessment and rehabilitation services for the University of Calgary varsity teams. Treatments are tailored for each athlete. We work with sport medicine physicians, coaching teams and trainers to safely return athletes to their sport.
We provide quick-thinking, on-field, emergency care for elite and developing athletes. We are the first to respond when someone gets hurt on a playing surface. It is that mix of on-site care and in-clinic rehabilitation skills that make athletic therapists effective in treating injuries.
We follow a Sport Medicine Model of care. This means we treat patients using various manual therapies, modalities, exercise prescription, bracing and taping.
The injury may differ, the sport may differ, but our goal is to help athletes return to their usual activities safely and efficiently.
Athletic Therapy Services
We have five areas of practice.
- Athletic taping/bracing
- Minor alterations and repairs of protective equipment
- Patient education
- Facility and environmental safety
- Facilitate programs designed to reduce injury risk
- Musculoskeletal evaluation in both urgent and non-urgent settings
- Neuromuscular evaluation and training in both urgent and non-urgent settings
- Basic emergency life support
- Recognize and manage acute traumatic neurological injuries
- Provide first-aid
- Prepare for entrance into appropriate health care delivery systems,
- Provide recommendations of any health care referrals, return to sport advice and monitoring
- Contemporary rehabilitation techniques
- Thermal, mechanical and electrical modality prescription
- Techniques facilitating a safe return to participation
- Record keeping and schedule management
- Multidisciplinary communication (doctors, coaches, etc.)
- Adhere to the policy and procedures for delivery of care
- Adhere to statutory and regulatory provision for the practice of Athletic Therapy
- Engage in continuing education and research initiatives.
- Teach the future generation of Athletic Therapists
Athletic therapists at the Sport Medicine Centre have significant training and experience working with athletes. Additional skills and services include:
- Red Cross First Responder or Emergency Medical Response certification
- Fiber glass and Thermal plastic casting/splinting training
- Gait Analysis
- Exercise Therapy prescription
- Myofascial release
- Active Release Therapy (ART)
- Graston Technique
- Visceral Release
- Strain Counter Strain
- Cranial Sacral Therapy
- Flexibility and joint mobilization training
Can Athletic Therapy Help Me?
Athletic therapy can help you take back control of your injuries. We can help you restore and maintain your greatest physical function from on-field care through to return to sport. Because we are trained to recognize signs of serious health conditions, we will refer you to a doctor or specialist when necessary. Currently, we primarily care for UCalgary Dinos varsity athletes only.